RE: Mentoring feature on the TECHWR-L site: You got it!

Subject: RE: Mentoring feature on the TECHWR-L site: You got it!
From: kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 13:43:08 -0600

I'm thrilled that this moved from concept to discussion to reality so fast!
Thanks, Deborah and Eric for coming up with the concept of matching; I'm glad
that the discussion fit into your existing plans!

The Whirler list itself is a fantastic mentoring tool. However, I think that it
lends itself best to answering specific questions, whether theoretical, ethical,
or practical. Personal mentoring can offer a relationship that benefits both
participants in ways that answering certain, specific questions doesn't.

In a perfect world, mentees and mentors will be able to match up with some
similarities in industry and geography. But there are viable opportunities for
us to communicate electronically in such a relationship. It's not as personal;
it won't be possible to have the same kind of "sessions" as face-to-face
mentoring, but it's something.

I'm in the middle--long past newbie, not yet guru. But I do think that there is
knowledge and experience I can share that would be useful. I hope that others in
my position on the career timeline consider offering their skills as well.

Thank you all for participating in the thread, both on and off list. I hope that
many beneficial relationships are spawned here.

Regards,

--Kimber

Be wiser than other people, if you can, but do not tell them so.
--Lord Chesterfield

Kimber Miller
kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com
Affiliated Computer Services