Re: Contracting and Flexibility

Subject: Re: Contracting and Flexibility
From: joanne grey <j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 10:04:26 -0800

> Anonymous asks:

> if those of you who contract find all the flexibility in time and place that
> you are looking for - things like working at home, keeping your own hours,
> working less than full-time if you want to, taking days off and extended
> vacation time.

I've found the opposite to be true. I actually work more hours and more
days than I expected. I take fewer vacations, too. OTOH, I do work at
home a lot, and I do keep my own hours most of the time. It's not
unusual for me to work very strange hours to accommodate the non-work
part of my life. Sometimes I wake up with an absolutely brilliant idea
(well, they seem so at the time) and lay in the basics for it right
there and then - even if it's 3 a.m.

I spent some time building up my clientele, and now I don't want to let
them down. If they call and need me to fit something in, I always try to
accommodate them. Many weekends and would-be vacations are spent doing
this.

> Is contracting all it's cracked up to be in this regard?

It can be, depending on your own situation. If I really wanted to work
less, I could. I still prefer it to staff work.

Joanne Grey http://www.writeangles.com
Write Angles mailto:j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com

The difference between the right word and the almost
right word is the difference between lightning and
the lightning bug. -Mark Twain