Re: Contractors - Typ Job Duties?

Subject: Re: Contractors - Typ Job Duties?
From: joanne grey <j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 17:11:11 -0800

Anthony Markatos wrote:

> Do TW contractors do a lot reorganization and rewrite of existing (poor
> quality) documentation? Is this the most common task performed (vs original

Oh, now you've started it. :-)

> IS THIS WHAT THE WORK IS LIKE?

The work is like everything - it depends. As a contractor, I've done all
kinds of work - from sitting down with a blank piece of paper and no
existing docs to finessing (and completely rewriting) existing docs to
making minimal updates to docs. Each client is different, each job is
different, each interaction with a client and contractor is different.
I've had contracts that I couldn't wait to finish and others that I wish
went on for longer.

I've used every writing tool you can think of. The work is varied. The
format is varied. The locations have varied. Most of it has been "real"
writing, but some of it has been editing and rewrites. It depends on
what the client needs.

> The client sample was terribly written - totally incomprehensible.

Further proof that they need someone with the know-how to make it right!

> It occurred to me that this was NOT a writing test; it was a test of my
> willingness to ... make some sense out of it. The exercise of any
> writing skill was not a primary task. Is this what contract TW is all about?

Perhaps the agency gave you something that was indicative of the docs,
perhaps not. It's hard to say what they expect. Some agencies are great
and will work really hard to get a good match, and to find the
contractor best suited for the client... and to manage client
expectations. Others aren't so good about it. Some agencies don't have a
clue, while others are really involved and know exactly what needs to be
done. It all depends.

Of course, YMMV.

-joanne

Joanne Grey j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com
Write Angles www.writeangles.com

There is no excellent beauty that hath not
some strangeness in the proportion. -Francis Bacon