RE: Missing letters in PDF files

Subject: RE: Missing letters in PDF files
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: "'Schmidt, Gunther'" <Gunther -dot- Schmidt -at- maxcess -dot- de>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:15:39 -0500

Hallo:

Try this: uninstall the Adobe Distiller printer driver. Get your NT CD and,
off it, install a Techtronix Phaser 340 600dpi color printer driver. By
installing off the NT CD, you get Microsoft's PS driver not Adobe's. Note
that the Microsoft printer driver installation does not let you select a
PPD. The PPD is built into the specific PS printer driver instance you
select.

Try using the Tektronix 340 printer to create the PS file that you distil.
You should find that the fonts now display correctly.

Note, if the NT CD is at a lower SP than 6, you will have to reinstall the
SPs after installing the new printer. This is because NT thoughtfully
performs some unwanted silent installations in the background while
installing your printer driver. These silent installations overwrite some
newer SP files with older SP files.

Finally, what I suggest is not encouraged by Adobe. Adobe recommends you
only use their printer drivers for PDF creation. However, in NT, I have
found that Adobe's PS driver seems less capable at font handling than
Microsoft's PS driver.

Let us know.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com