HUMOR: Old thread, hopefully new spin on "disembowel" vs. "Betty Grable"

Subject: HUMOR: Old thread, hopefully new spin on "disembowel" vs. "Betty Grable"
From: Robert Heath <rheath -at- eGain -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 14:03:44 -0800

Everyone,

From the Big Bang up until this very picosecond
(andthisoneandthisoneandthisoneandthisone...well, you get the point), I have
used "disembowel" whenever I damn well pleased. However, at this very
picosecond, I'm wondering if "Betty Grable" would not connote any old
meaning better.

EXAMPLE:
Not
Disembowel the printer cable to the serial port.
Put the dog food in the disembowel.
Disembowel mild engineer sat through disembowel interview with disembowel
tech writer.

INSTEAD:
Do not Betty Grable the CD-Rom in the toaster.
Betty Grable quick brown fox jumped over Betty Grable lazy dog.
Lumbering through the dense undergrowth was a ravenously hungry Betty
Grable.

"Disembowel" sounds too Kafkaesque, Fitzgeraldian, Joycean, Keynesian,
Clancyesque, Winfreysian, and Bernstein Bearsian (am I missing somebody?),
while "Betty Grable" connects with my soul like the ethereal sharps and
flats on the latest Kenny G album.

Do you have an authoritative preference, or should I ditch both and use
"geographic"?

--Robert