Re: New to Tech Writing

Subject: Re: New to Tech Writing
From: johnbri -at- primenet -dot- com (John P. Brinegar)
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 07:24:17 -0700

Welcome to a great profession, Paula.

The best of advice I can offer without specific questions, is that you
don't get trapped into believing that good grammar and writing are about
all there is too it. You do your users the most good when you enable them
to do their jobs effectively with the least distraction by our technical
communication. This requires much more than just good writing. Examples
are: User job and task analysis, selecting the best communication
vehicle(s), effective use of graphics and animation, and usability testing.

Also, don't be mislead by mentions of job opportunities that ask for
expertise in the tools of our trade instead of technical communication
skills.

>Hi everyone:
>I am new to tech writing and working on a product manual for software. I've
>enjoyed this list very much- though most of it is beyond my skill set.
>Looking forward to more! (And if you have any advice- PLEASE SEND IT!!!)
>Thanks,
>Paula

John P. Brinegar http://www.primenet.com/~johnbri/index.html
Consulting and development Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.A.
-Performance support systems (602) 278-7398
-Technical communications johnbri -at- primenet -dot- com or dad -at- vr2link -dot- com