Linux wordprocessors

Subject: Linux wordprocessors
From: reni -at- intellitel -dot- com
To: techwr-l
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 3:0:48

Hi,

I have couple of questions about different wordprocessors in Linux
environment. The software in question are:
- StarWriter (v5 beta)
- Applix Words
- Corel WP
- KWord (pre-alfa)
- FrameMaker (beta)

I have tested the above software, for awhile now, but I still have couple
of questions to ask.

- Which of the above software has ability to build book from several
sources. Which of these can do it from commandline? (At least FrameMaker
and StarWriter) Will those features work well or are they "just existing
for the marketing hype"?

- Does all of those programs use styles? Both paragraph and font styles
(e.g. to have few words with emphasis style inside normal paragraph)? Do
they have any additional styles?

- Which of the above software has (at least some kind of) ability to create
XML/SGML documents?

- What other WYSIWYG xml/sgml software is availabe for Linux (for _real_
end users, not for Emacs/vi/etc. guys only). KlyX?

- And of course: MS Word (doc / rtf) import/export capabilities?

--
Reni Waegelein
(reni)@intellitel.com