Re: FWD: work vs. environment

Subject: Re: FWD: work vs. environment
From: "Tom Murrell" <tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2000 15:31:59 -0500

Anonymous wants to know whether to move with the Doc. Department to a new
division or stay in R&D with a well-respected manager and do QA work.

> The essence
> of the problem for me personally is that I have no interest in doing QA
> work for the terrific manager. And to move with the Doc. Dept. under the
> new division means once again working with the liar manager.

This seems like a no-brainer to me. Based on what you said about the "liar
manager," if she knows you said something negative about her, your life will
not be fun in the new division. You like your current manager, but, in your
own words, you have no interest in QA work. I doubt you will do your best
work in QA if your heart is in Technical Writing.

So, as I see it, you need to get a new job at a new company. In the
interim, I would NOT take the risk that your previous manager knows what you
might have said about her. Stay with R&D for now, but you will not be happy
for long. Give up the notion that you will take over the Documentation
Department. Time to move on.

Tom Murrell