Re: Contractors - Typ Job Duties?

Subject: Re: Contractors - Typ Job Duties?
From: "Tom Murrell" <tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 21:30:29 -0500

>>Tony Markatos agonizes over whether contract Technical Writing is merely
>>rewriting of badly organized and written client documentation.

Tony, that was not my experience in 4.5 years of contract Technical Writing,
and I know of others for whom that was not their experience either. In
fact, I've had occasion to use contract writers here, where I've been a
permanent employee (sorry, Associate) for over two years, and that wasn't
how we used our contract writers either.

I have always been expected to write. Often I have also been expected to
conduct training classes, stand-up demonstrations, and rewrites of some
other people's work, too.

I have to admit that the one thing I have always dreaded is a position where
they expected only that I would, "Just clean it up and correct the grammar."
I can't imagine that I would last long in such a situation.

Tom Murrell
Senior Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems, Inc.