Re: Chapter number

Subject: Re: Chapter number
From: Harry Hager <hhager -at- dttus -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, KNeeb -at- SagebrushCorp -dot- com
Date: 25 Feb 2000 14:43:07 -0600

Karen,

When using Word with a multiple chapter book, I almost always use the
chapter numbers and restarting each chapter at 1.

For me, it's easier to keep track of everything that way and there is
less chance for pagination errors.

It also seems to me that this is a good navigation tool for the
reader.

I use the { RD ..} field codes in Word for the TOC and Index when the
book has multiple chapters.

The Master Document feature of Word has always been a swamp full of
alligators for me. I never got it to work in Word 95; never really
tried it in Word 97; maybe I'll try it when we get Word 2000
installed.

I wonder how WordPerfect has been able to made their version of master
document work since at least the DOS versions of around 1990 or so.

H. Jim Hager
hhager -at- dttus -dot- com

Subject: Chapter number
Author: KNeeb -at- SagebrushCorp -dot- com at Internet-USA
Date: 2/25/00 11:39 AM

Hi all!

I'd like your opinions on the following:

What are some arguments for and against the two main ways to number
chapters, i.e., numbering the entire manual consecutively (1-568) vs. using
the chapter number and restarting each chapter at 1 (1-1, 2-1, etc.)?

I have my own ideas, but I'd like to see if I'm missing anything.

Please reply directly as I subscribe to digest. Thanks in advance,

Karen Neeb
Kneeb -at- sagebrushcorp -dot- com <mailto:Kneeb -at- sagebrushcorp -dot- com>

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Sponsored by Rose Hill, Your Business and Career Coach.
"Assume Success! Live Your Passion!" Get the gist at
www.coachrose.com then call 503.629.4804 for details!

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: hhager -at- dttus -dot- com