Re: Murrell's contract (WAS something about 1099s)

Subject: Re: Murrell's contract (WAS something about 1099s)
From: "Sarah O'Keefe" <okeefe -at- scriptorium -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 10:28:11 -0500

From: Thomas Neuburger <thomasn -at- twelfthnight -dot- com>

Tom -- Your income *must* have been reported to the
US Govt in some way (or someone broke the law), and
you should have gotten a copy of that notification.
That's what W2s and 1099s are, copies of income
reports to the Feds.

Sounds like you got unreported (by them) income.

I disagree. As someone else pointed out, if I was a true subcontractor,
they were not under a legal obligation to report what they paid me.

Here's my understanding: A company who hires a "non-corporation" vendor--that is, a subcontractor who is an independent contractor and a sole proprietor--is obligated to report that income to the subcontractor on a 1099 to the IRS on some form whose number I forget (1098?).

However, the penalty to the company for not reporting is something like $50. The penalty to the subcontractor for not reporting the income (whether they received a 1099 or not) is much steeper--think tax evasion and/or tax fraud.

Because the penalty for the client company is so truly lame, many companies ignore the 1099 reporting rules.

Sarah
--
Sarah O'Keefe okeefe -at- scriptorium -dot- com 919-481-2701
FrameMaker Adobe Certified Expert Author, FrameMaker for Dummies