Working with a team

Subject: Working with a team
From: Sandy McDonnell <sandy_mcdonnell -at- cmsinc -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:42:55 -0500

Gil said:

(note - this is all relative). I am worried that if I work on a team of
writers,
especially under a senior who I don't 100% feel employs the best tech
writing
practices, I would be quite unhappy. This also applies for working alongside
incompetent TWs.

To which Sandy replied:

Gil, working in a team can be a dream or a nightmare. It IS difficult to
work with incompetent TWs just as it's difficult to work with uncooperative
SMEs. The issue in team writing is that you MUST share the same goal and
you must be respectful of one another. If that cannot happen, the project
will fail. I've had the opportunity to work with excellent writers on a team
as well as been forced to work with writers who couldn't write their way out
of a paper bag. Even the less skilled writers can bring something good to a
team if they are willing to truly work AS a team. If they are not, there is
no hope. And if an amazingly skilled writer wants to be a prima donna and be
right 100% of the time, you still have problems.

In other words, attitude can make all the difference. If a team realizes
that it sinks or swims TOGETHER and that the goal is common (to produce the
best documentation possible) then you should be fine. Of course, this means
that all the team members have to act like mature professionals, which can
sometimes be the biggest challenge of all.

Best of luck!
Sandy