Subject: Responses to Good TW Schools
From: Sarah Park <cul8r_98 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 21:54:48 -0800 (PST)

Hello everyone,

I wanted to thank all those people who responded to my questions about
tech. writing schools and programs. The suggestions were quite varied
and the comments ranged from "do self-study" to "get a Master?s
degree". I?m glad no fistfights ensued as a result of the different
opinions! :)

Currently, I have a Bachelor of Science degree, but no previous
background or experience in tech. writing. Thus, my situation demands
that I get at least some extra schooling in order to build the
necessary foundations. As I understand, these include skills in
writing, editing, information presentation, documentation design,
audience analysis, and the use of TW software tools.

I compiled a list of 20 schools from all the different suggestions.
The most popular ones were Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,
Carnegie-Mellon, and University of Washington. I have not decided on a
particular school yet, but I am leaning towards the idea of a
certificate program, preferably with internship. A distance learning
option also looks appealing.

Being a new subscriber to TECHWR-L, I was amazed at the great help and
advice given to one another. You are a wonderful bunch, and thanks to
all those who make this a great listserve!

Sincerely,
Sarah Park

P.S. Email me if you would like to see the compete list of recommended

TW schools.

http://im.yahoo.com