RE : Estimating

Subject: RE : Estimating
From: Elle <elle -at- world-net -dot- co -dot- nz>
To: "TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:06:38 +1300

Robert Heath wrote:

> The Pubs team to which I belong has been made responsible for taking a

> collection of docs from our engineers and assembling them into two
> complementary programmer's guides. We won't receive the docs until
Monday or
> so of next week and the guides are due on the 29th of this month.

In the mean time is there anyway you can bring sub-contracting staff
from
outside to help you meet this deadline.
Where was your company's production management and project co-ordination
at the
beginning. Co-ordinating the engineers efforts, your teams efforts and
every
other aspect of the operation.

> Our engineers typically write and structure their docs pretty poorly,
so I
> know there will be much effort involved in editing these. I know it is

> unrealistic However, our team does not currently use any means of
estimating
> the overall time needed for a project.

Why has there been no need for estimating your teams overall time
previously?
It sounds as if no-one at your company is planning the stages and time
frames
involved in projects.

> think we desperately need some method of estimation for our future
projects
> so we're not given more than we can handle.

I would say you also need to raise the question with your company's'
management
for the need of some form of production management or project
co-ordination to
oversee operations in the future.

> Thanks,
> Robert

> Sponsored by Weisner Associates Inc., Online Information Services
> Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based
Help.
> More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or
mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

> Your web site in 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you
think.
> Contact ForeignExchange for the FREE paper, "3 steps to successful
> translation management" (http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw).
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: elle -at- world-net -dot- co -dot- nz
leave-techwr-l-27757M -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com