Re: Estimating time needed for a project

Subject: Re: Estimating time needed for a project
From: Elle <elle -at- world-net -dot- co -dot- nz>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:17:54 +1300

Robert Heath wrote:
The Pubs team to which I belong has been made responsible for taking a

> collection of docs from our engineers and assembling them into two
> complementary programmer's guides. We won't receive the docs until
Monday or so of next week and the guides are due on the 29th of this month.

In the mean time is there anyway you can bring sub-contracting staff
from outside to help you meet this deadline.
Where was your company's production management and project co-ordination
at the beginning. Co-ordinating the engineers efforts, your teams efforts and
every other aspect of the operation.

> Our engineers typically write and structure their docs pretty poorly,
so I know there will be much effort involved in editing these. I know it is

> unrealistic However, our team does not currently use any means of
estimating the overall time needed for a project.

Why has there been no need for estimating your teams overall time
previously? It sounds as if no-one at your company is planning the stages and
time
frames involved in projects.

> think we desperately need some method of estimation for our future
projects so we're not given more than we can handle.

I would say you also need to raise the question with your company's'
management for the need of some form of production management or project
co-ordination to oversee operations in the future.

Elle

> Thanks,
> Robert

> Sponsored by Weisner Associates Inc., Online Information Services
> Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based
Help.
> More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or
mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

> Your web site in 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you
think.
> Contact ForeignExchange for the FREE paper, "3 steps to successful
> translation management" (http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw).
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: elle -at- world-net -dot- co -dot- nz
leave-techwr-l-27757M -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com