Project Management software - evaluation criteria

Subject: Project Management software - evaluation criteria
From: Sandra Law <sklaw -at- cheetah -dot- spots -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 21:37:45 -0700

Could anyone on the list provide me with some criteria with which to
evaluate project management software? The reason I ask is that I am
taking a course in Project Management (for a degree program in
Instructional Technology) and one of the assignments requires that I
(along with other group members) evaluate a project management software
package.

Part of the analysis will involve determining who will use this software
(the Project Manager , as well as the various sub project leaders). Do
members of this list have project management experience, specifically
with regard to the use of Project Management software? If you have used
such software, what do you think it did well and what do you think it
did poorly? What are some of the criteria you use to evaluate it
(beyond general usability)?

Is an important consideration the software's ability to track deadlines,
budgets, and tasks? Is output important, i.e. what kind of report can
be produced/generated?

I would appreciate any insights you can offer, as well as redirection to
any web based resources. I have looked at a number of resources, but
none seem to say what should be looked for in project management
software.

Thanks.

Sandra Law