Basic Info on Network Security??

Subject: Basic Info on Network Security??
From: MorganFoster5000 -at- aol -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 01:57:04 EST

TECHWRL's:

I am working on a paper where I need to define some terms and provide
information related to protecting a corporate network from security breaches
and such. I do not have the Microsoft Manual of Style or any dictionaries
related to this and was hoping there might be a listserver, newsgroup or
website where I could obtain some basic info on this, if not this one. I got
overwhelmed when I did a search because it is a hot topic. Anyway, for
example, I need to explain what "tampering" is. I have a general idea of
this, but not something precise enough that I would feel confident writing it
down as a definition. I am also looking for recommendations to make to the
corporate environment regarding what a good (basic) "security package" (my
term) would be. It is ok if I obtain info from the web, that does not have a
typical citation, because I can refer to "URL" sites as my references, and
paraphrase what I find there. This is essentially a white paper, to use as
a writing sample, so it does not have to be extremely technical, moreso
logical and flow well, while providing an overview. Any help out there?

Thanks v. much,
Morgan
MorganFoster5000 -at- aol -dot- com
Writer/Editor