RE: Timekeeping

Subject: RE: Timekeeping
From: Paul Hanson <PHanson -at- Quintrex -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:06:34 -0600

I have found them as a useful tool in remembering what I worked on a
month ago. I also am being more detailed so I can better estimate how
much time I spent on individual areas. For example, I have 31 sub-codes
to specify what I'm working on, ranging from Appendix (working on an
appendix) and Body (working on the body of a doc) to Mail (for preparing
doc to send) to Prof (proofreading) to TMP (Documentation template work)
to Viso (Visio flowcharts). Do I use all of them? NO. Does every company
need 31 sub-codes? No. It works here to the degree that I am specific in
my comments within our time tracker software. If I record "Worked on
[helpfile]" that doesn't tell me anything: neither the day I record it,
nor a month from now when I try to remember what I worked on on what
day.

I hate filling them out too, but I see the benefit.

Paul

From: Murrell, Thomas [SMTP:TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net]
> Personally, I hate filling out time sheets. Nonetheless, I've had to
> fill out time sheets since forever. <snip>
>
> Tom Murrell
>
> From: Bob Morrisette[SMTP:writer1 -at- sabu -dot- EBay -dot- Sun -dot- COM]
<snip>The form lists all documents assigned to you and time for
meetings, reading, etc. They don't list time in the bathroom.