Re: ForeHelp v. RoboHelp for "Single Source"

Subject: Re: ForeHelp v. RoboHelp for "Single Source"
From: "Tim Altom" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "TechDoc List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 16:06:56 -0500

I make it a policy to avoid tools that sit on top of Word. They're slow and
flaky, just like Word. Such apps don't offer the flexibility I want, either.

ForeHelp has been my favorite for years. It stores in a database, which
makes it much more reliable than Word's paragraphs. ForeHelp is fast,
efficient, and powerful. I can do all sorts of import tricks when I pull in
an RTF. It never crashes. It's useful for single source, too, because of its
import capabilities. I can create a help file right out of Frame by:

1. Attaching a "stripper" template in Frame;
2. Exporting from Frame as MIF;
3. Converting MIF to excellent RTF with MIF2GO;
4. Importing the RTF into ForeHelp;
5. Doing whatever manual intervention may be necessary;
6. Compiling.

I can produce a fully-formed Clustar help file in a couple of hours, one
with a couple of hundred or so topics.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar Method(TM)
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
http://www.simplywritten.com