Re: Screen Capture BIOS

Subject: Re: Screen Capture BIOS
From: Tim Jones <tim -at- timjones -dot- com>
To: Eric Ray <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 17:30:52 -0500

Eric Ray wrote:

> > is it possible to make a screen capture of BIOS?
>
> Only if you're running some kind of a virtual machine.
> VMWare (www.vmware.com) is a good Linux or NT solution that
> gives you the ability to run a "virtual" machine within a
> real one (however, you also get a virtual bios, so if you
> need a screenshot of a specific one, you're out of luck unless
> you just use a camera).

Another alternative (although kinda kludgy and probably a setup
that most tech writers don't have) is to use a VGA-to-TV adapter
(my brother-in-law has one so he can surf using his 37" inch TV,
but I don't know the technical term for it), plugged into the
video-in port of another computer's frame capture video board.
This should be fine for text-based BIOSes. Even graphical BIOSes
(if there are any) probably won't stretch the resolution
envelope, and would still yield perfectly usable pictures.

Tim

TimJones.com
LinuxTampa.com
813-65-LINUX