FileMaker PRo; was RE: Discouraging supervisor from tangential as signment

Subject: FileMaker PRo; was RE: Discouraging supervisor from tangential as signment
From: "RUBOTTOM, AL" <ARUBOTTOM -at- SENSORMATIC-VPD -dot- com>
To: "'Steven J. Owens'" <puff -at- netcom -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 16:17:28 -0800

FileMaker is wonderful alternative to Access, IF you can use it in yr
environment. It allows MUCH easier creation of front_end/user_access screens
for data entry, display, report selection, you name it. The latest version,
5, offers significantly increased power over the previous 4.x generation. I
think it's one of hte few SW products that lives up to its boast of making
you productive in a few minutes,,, assuming you have some idea what you'd
like to accomplsh.

FM was named MVP database SW product by PC Computing for 1999 and with good
reason -- it's far more powerful and easier to use than most other DB pgms,
including, of course, M$ Access. I bought it a few years ago 'cuz I needed
its versatile publishing options -- you can create flexible page layout for
high quality print output of yr DB's records, which I needed to make a book
from a small DB of restaurant reviews.

FM is ODBC-compliant, & in ver. 5 is well-integrated w/ M$ OFFice products
for easy use/reuse of existing data in Access, Excel, whatever. FM also
provides a lot of web publishing power and they also sell server SW that can
streamline the whole file-sharing scenario.

FM surpasses anything you can do with any comparable tool [in the few
hundred dollar range, that is].
You can peruse its high points at
http://www.filemaker.com/

By way of bkgrd, FM for the Mac led the feature/flexibility race for years,
then it got ported to Wintel platform, and become phenomenally successful.
There are FM users all over the world, esp. many developers who share or
sell add-ons & utilities/tools for manipulating data in additional ways, and
so on & on. It's another good'un!

YITB,
Al