Manuals for appliances

Subject: Manuals for appliances
From: "Alex Silbajoris" <alsilba -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 04:32:07 PST

Elna Tymes mentioned manuals for washers and dryers. Once I interviewed at the headquarters of a major appliance manufacturer, hoping to combine my tech writing skills with my mechanical knack to produce user documentation for their products. (That fizzled, BTW)

In the context of discussing drop-dead publication deadlines, they told me that the law requires documentation for every appliance they sell. If a new product is ready to come off the line, and the documentation for that model is not ready, they can't start the line. It's probably like that in a lot of other industries.