Re: FWD: Discouraging supervisor from tangential assignment

Subject: Re: FWD: Discouraging supervisor from tangential assignment
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Anonymous Poster <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 1999 07:13:52 -0800 (PST)

You have been given the unique opportunity to learn a
skill that will set you aside from and above all the
other "I know Word, Frame, and RoboHelp" tech writers.
Don't squander that...it doesn't happen often.

I say, go with it, immerse yourself in it, wallow in
the process, "be the ball".

Sometimes, even though an additinal "head" cannot be
added to a department, training and learning resources
can be. If your boss knows that you don't have the
skill and made you in charge anyway, it is up to your
boss to give you access (excuse the pun) to the needed
training. Take advantage of it.

--- Anonymous Poster <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com> wrote:

> I have been told that I will be in charge of
> creating a database for the
> documentation and product packaging groups in my
> company. Months ago I
> wrote to several newsgroups and learned that such a
> task was best
> performed by an Access developer. My supervisor
> doesn't think we can hire
> someone. I know very little about Access, but I
> suppose I could get the
> wizards to do most of the heavy lifting. However,
> even if I can cobble
> together something, I know that I am not confident
> enough to stand behind
> its long-term use and know what to tweak when things
> go awry.
>
> How can I convince my supervisor that I cannot
> possibly develop the
> database without devoting all my time to it?
>
> Thanks for any and all comments, suggestions, or
> warnings.

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
"When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout."