RE: Introducing graphics

Subject: RE: Introducing graphics
From: Kevin Feeman <Kevin -dot- Feeman -at- micromass -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:38:45 -0500

<snip>
Aoidìn Scully writes: f the text was "Click the Add button.", would you have
the graphic showing the Add button before or after the text? </snip>

Personally, I don't know if I would have a picture of the Add button,
especially if it was in a user's guide. I am leaning more and more away from
using graphics for simple buttons and menus, especially if they are
described in a reference guide. I looked at a lot of other software manuals
by big name companies, and many of them do not use a lot of graphics in
their user manuals, only in the reference guides. For example, in Mircosoft
Project 98 User's Guide, many of the procedures are simple text without
graphics.

My 2 cents worth, my thoughts are my own, and only owned by me.

Kevin Feeman
Technical Publications Manager
MicroMass Communications Inc.
www.micromass.com <http://www.micromass.com>
(919) 851-3182 Ext. 3105
kevin -dot- feeman -at- micromass -dot- com