Cooperation

Subject: Cooperation
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1999 15:31:57 -0500

From: Harry Bacheler [hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov]
Sent: Friday, December 10, 1999 3:06 PM
To: TECHWR-L
Subject: RE: Cooperation (Was: contacting Competitors)

To All

This reply is in response to Brent Jones's kind comments (which are included
below)

It was not my intent to suggest 'cold-calling' or the like.

I agree that there should be some sort of 'connection', but how is that
communication channel to be established.

If we are all sharing the TECHWR-L listserv, there is a community that
is growing, and contacts that are being established.

I do not suggest that the first, second or even the third contact is the
appropriate time to 'just ask'.

However, over time, with the threads, etc., and the FAQs some of the
information may already be available. It is not inappropriate to ask
for clarification.

Even then, discretion is the better part of valor, so to speak.

There are MANY books, publications, and papers that have been written
on all subjects. How to estimate jobs, how to price yourself, how do
you 'write'. In a large number of those cases, you will see the
author's name, phone number, and/or email address. Therefore, I believe
that this establishes the beginnings of a 'connection'.

However, I do also believe that some interchange of ideas should occur -
prior to "just ask".

We must remember that we can always say "... that is proprietary
information,
but here are some of the references that I have used ...". this is not only
polite and appropriate, but helps to establish the parameters of the
information
that will be made available, then and in the future. It also provides