RE: Business team or the Development team?

Subject: RE: Business team or the Development team?
From: Lane Pasut <Larissa -dot- Pasut -at- OmegaResearch -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 13:20:04 -0500

Our company also separates the thee areas: marketing, development and
support. Were in development. I would imagine it depends on the company and
what the TW dept (team) does. Do they create reference material, performance
support tools, or training products, and how integrated the help system is
with the product. Being part of development is essential for us because the
help system is quite integrated into the product, we have an extensive API
to deal with, and we're creating web-based tools to accompany our new
web-based products, so being part of development ensures that we are part of
the development cycle/loop (both formally and informally, if you know what I
mean)!

Lane Pasut

From: Uma
In an organizational structure, does a Techncial
Writer belong in the development division (which makes
products) or the marketing division (which sells
products). Most likely a TW belongs in a team called
Support Functions but which of the above divisons
would the support team be part of?
I'll appreciate all inputs on this.
Thanks and regards.