RE: Where do 'old' techwriters go to die?

Subject: RE: Where do 'old' techwriters go to die?
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:11:31 -0500

John Eldard asks:

> For those of you who have been techwriting for over ten years, what are
> you
> doing for challenges? Especially those working in corporate America?

I looked at that question and realized it was addressed to ME! Took me a
minute to realize that I was qualified to answer. (For the record, I take
exception to the Thread title. I ain't ready to die yet, and I may be 50,
but I ain't old yet, either.)

For one thing (to answer the question) I subscribed to this list. That's a
challenge. <g> (Not complaining, Eric. Relax.)

Seriously, I can't imagine how a writer could help but find each day a
challenge. Each new writing task is a challenge to learn a new product, a
new feature, a new tool, or some combination of the above. I have (so far
successfully) resisted the challenge of being promoted to supervisor or
manager, so that I can stay a writer and do what I do best. (I was a
supervisor once, early in my TW career; it was the worst mistake I ever
made. You don't want to work for me.)

I enjoy what I do. I learn new things, and then I explain what I've learned
to others. How can that not be challenging?

Tom Murrell