Re: Acronym style

Subject: Re: Acronym style
From: JohnMethod -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 12:42:16 EST

Rahel writes for feedback on acronyms, as in:

> ETS 300 207 - 4 Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN);
> Diversion Supplementary Services; Digital Subscriber Signalling System No
> One (DSS1)Protocol; Part 4 - Abstract Test Suite (ATS) and partial
> Protocol Implementation eXtra Information for Testing (PIXIT) proforma
> specification for the user. Edition 1 - 1997 - 09.

Assuming that the acronym will be used throughout the text, I prefer (*not*
saying that it's proper), on the first occurrence only, to have the acronym
first and definition after:

ETS 300 207 - 4 ISDN (Integrated Services Digital Network);
Diversion Supplementary Services; DSS1 (Digital Subscriber Signalling System
No. One) Protocol; Part 4 - ATS (Abstract Test Suite) and partial PIXIT
(Protocol Implementation eXtra Information for Testing) proforma
specification for the user. Edition 1 - 1997 - 09.

...and, although it burns space and may be too "dumbed down" for some folks,
I like the glossary to include so-referenced acronyms, too, since
documentation is seldom used sequentially (particularly with the the advent
of hyperlinks) and it's easy to miss the in-line definition.

My Pentium $0.019998457

John G. Boland