HUGE price rise, format conversions, and HTML Transit

Subject: HUGE price rise, format conversions, and HTML Transit
From: Sandra Charker <scharker -at- connectives -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 1999 08:27:33 +1100

I've always thought of HTML Transit as a Word to HTML converter, and haven't been particularly interested. However, we've been looking at the new release, and it seems to be quite a lot more than that. So far on our evaluation it's done a pretty good job with FrameMaker books to HTML, though it doesn't handle as many of Frame's capabilities as WebWorks does. It also claims to handle... well you can see for yourselves at http://www.infoaccess.com/

At the website you'll also see that the price will rise from $US495 to $US5,000 - yep, that's five HUNDRED to five THOUSAND dollars - on 1 January 2000. So if anyone has been thinking that it might be worth looking at some time, I'd suggest you look now. There are comparably mind-boggling price rises for other products, AND for support.

I'm a free-lance, and on the strength of the evaluations we've been doing at my present contract I'm planning to buy HTML Transit for myself. It looks like a seriously useful tool. However, 500 US dollars will knock a noticeable hole in my Christmas budget, so I'd appreciate comments and gotchas from anyone who's used it.

Jingle Bells everyone

*********

Sandra Charker

mailto:scharker -at- connectives -dot- com
Personal web site: http://www.connectives.com