RE: What department are you in?

Subject: RE: What department are you in?
From: "McClare, Scott" <smcclare -at- neptec -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 13:50:07 -0500

Dan Caldwell [mailto:writer -at- hscis -dot- net] asked:

> Is there a particular department that tech writers get attached to when
> they're the only writer in a company?

At present, I'm a lone writer, and I'm attached to Configuration Management,
itself a department of Quality Assurance. (Considering that my chief role
is as an editor, this makes sense.)

In my previous positions, where I've worked as a part of a group, I've been
attached to these departments: Documentation, Engineering, Publications, and
Customer Support. Something tells me the answers you're going to get are
widely varied, whether you're working yourself or with others!

Take care,

Scott

--
Scott A. McClare - Technical Writer
Neptec Design Group Ltd., Kanata, Ontario, Canada