Re: ToolTips and Keyboard Shortcuts

Subject: Re: ToolTips and Keyboard Shortcuts
From: Mitchell Gibbs <gibbs -at- gnv -dot- fdt -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 14:38:41 -0500

We included keyboard shortcuts with the tooltips in our latest product. Our
users are court reporters (stenographers) who like to learn these shortcuts
as quickly as possible. This isn't the kind of thing people often comment
on in our user forums, but I have seen one or two people compliment this
feature, and no one has complained about it.

Mitch

>Hi,
>
>Does anyone have an opinion as to whether including keyboard shortcuts in
tooltips is a good idea?

>Presently one part of our interface has keyboard shortcuts in brackets ()
after the tooltip, the rest does not. The tooltips we have are not very long
>(one to three words generally, e.g.'Select and Move').
>
>I think it could be a good idea, but so far have not seen this in any
>products except Adobe Acrobat 4.0 (saying that I looked for less than 5
>minutes, but did try the usual MS products whose Style Guide we are
>generally following, but which says nothing about the subject).

Mitchell Gibbs
Technical Writer
Advantage Software, Inc.