RE: Your Inner Brad Pitt: Team Building Nonsense

Subject: RE: Your Inner Brad Pitt: Team Building Nonsense
From: Marc Santacroce <epubs -at- mail -dot- ricochet -dot- net -dot- criticalpath -dot- net>
To: "McClare, Scott" <smcclare -at- neptec -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 10:25:03 -0800

I'm afraid I have to agree with the post I've read concerning the marginal validity of team building exercises.

Although I haven't been through them in the corporate world, this type of exercise was common place in military management schools. In those cases they were meant to (among peers) promote leadership abilities and identify the leaders in a group.

I think the real team building took effect in our everyday jobs, where we had to depend upon each other to get the job done.

Even then, I think mostly we viewed the team building exercises as a respite from the dreads of academic classes.

-
Marc A. Santacroce

Senior Technical Writer/President
ePubs, Inc.

epubs -at- ricochet -dot- net

"Everything has a fifty percent probability; either it's going to happen, or it's not."