Re: Contractors: Would you do this?

Subject: Re: Contractors: Would you do this?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Tammy Sudol <AWrite -at- total -dot- net>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 10:12:07 -0800 (PST)

depends...

Free version:

I talk to users, I play with application, I use X
years of experience to create your online help.

For Fee version:

7 pages of methodology on how to approach and create
the online help.

I'm a contractor. I get paid because I can do it, not
educate someone else, and not even give away my
"secret" of HOW I do my work.

You want a methodology, pay me for my experience in
knowing this methodology.

--- Tammy Sudol <AWrite -at- total -dot- net> wrote:
> I'm wondering what the contractors and consultants,
> on this
> list, think about this:
>
> I was asked to write a document entitled, "The
> Methodology
> for Creating On-line Help" for a perspective client.
> The
> client would be hiring me to modify their existing
> on-line
> help (3 week assignment). While I wrote the
> document (7
> pages), I felt kind of funny about having to provide
> this

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
"The art of creating software that is usable by individuals is a communication skill. It is not a programming skill."
--Bill Atkinson, creator of MacPaint and HyperCard