RE: would you?

Subject: RE: would you?
From: "Katherine Enos (Macrosearch Inc) (Exchange)" <a-kateno -at- Exchange -dot- Microsoft -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:51:44 -0800

If the following is technically correct, you could try to write around
"files that have not been saved":

CopyWriter will prompt the user to save any edited files before the program
closes.

Or, for more concision:

CopyWriter prompts the user to save changed files before the program closes.

(I changed "edited" to "changed" here because I feel it communicates the
meaning more strongly.)

Or,

Before closing, Copywriter prompts the user to save changed files.

I wouldn't use "unsaved". While it is defined in Webster's, it's not defined
in the Microsoft Computer Dictionary (not to say that this is the only
relevant source, but I don't have time to check too many others and this
gives me some indication. "Unread", in contrast, is defined in this source).
I don't believe that it's standard in use in technical manuals and this
brings me to a more important reason: text usability. To say "unsaved"
requires my reader to make a greater conceptual leap than the more wordy
"files that have not been saved" will do.