Re: On-the-spot writing test during a job interview?

Subject: Re: On-the-spot writing test during a job interview?
From: Kat Nagel <katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net>
To: Keith Cronin <kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com>, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:31:47 -0500

At 09:10 AM 11/12/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>I had to take such a test for a previous tech writing job, cranking out a
>description of how to use a stapler, assuming no "stapling knowledge" on the
>reader's part.
>
>The job in question here is a marketing-oriented copy writing job, NOT a
>tech writing job, but the applicant IS expected to be able to write about
>high-tech and/or abstract subject matter.

I suppose the stapler thing might be appropriate if you make the assignment
appropriate for a marketing writer. After all, you wouldn't expect a
marketing writer to do an operations manual or a repair procedure. Why not
ask the candidate to write a catalogue description or a sales brochure for
the stapler or another common office product?
--
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting Services katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
"The transformation of calories into words, of words into money,