RE: would you?

Subject: RE: would you?
From: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- carrieraccess -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 11:10:18 -0700

>I had the following:
>
>CopyWriter will prompt the user to save any edited files that have not been
>saved before the program closes.
>
>She suggested:
>
>CopyWriter will prompt the user to save any edited, unsaved files before
the
>program closes.

Unsaved is clear, concise, and in very common use. Your original version of
the sentence adds an extra clause that could cause the reader to have to go
back and re-parse the sentence. That clause is also a dangling modifier,
which works in either possible interpretation, but reads just a little
hiccupey nonetheless.

Dictionaries are very cool and all, but they're never complete and they're
obsolete before they're printed. We all know that the application isn't out
looking for heathen files.

Lisa de Torquemada.