RE: On-the-spot writing test during a job interview?

Subject: RE: On-the-spot writing test during a job interview?
From: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- carrieraccess -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 11:35:58 -0700

I don't think a writing test can or should serve any purpose other than just
providing a little back-up to a job candidate's resume and portfolio.

The sad fact is that there are big fat smelly liars out there. I am familiar
with two profoundly incompetent people in the local tech writing market
right now who are coasting along on stolen portfolio samples (at least one
was using some samples of my work a couple of years ago), coerced
recommendations from friends, and a history of pulling the wool over
employers' eyes for long enough to find the next job. A well-designed test,
IMO, is designed for little more than weeding out these charlatans.

Testing is not a reliable measure of performance. Trust me. I am a whiz at
tests. I got MUSIC credits in college for making 100% uninformed random
guesses on a CLEP test.

If you rely on tests, you're going to end up hiring me, and I'm REALLY
REALLY STUPID.

Lisa.