Re: questions concerning ethics

Subject: Re: questions concerning ethics
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:48:45 -0800 (PST)

Just having some fun with this topic - no offense intended to the author, this
list, or the sexual capabilities of any list member, their family, friends,
associates, and pets.

> Hi, I'm writing a research paper over ethics for a
> class. If you have time and you are a technical
> writer, would you please answer the following
> questions (only 3 questions!)? I really appreciate it!
> Thank you.
>
> How long have you worked as a technical writer?

Ethically: about 8 months. Unethically: little over 10 years.

> Have you ever faced an ethical dilemma or had to make
> an ethical decision in the workplace?
>
> If yes, can you give me an example of this dilemma or
> decision?

Oh sure - I have ethical dilemmas all day in my job:

Who can I execute? The friggin' rock n' roll body across the hall who has half
of his body peirced and the other half tattooed or the maniacal,
"face-like-a-fist" receptionist who derives extreme pleasure from the
discomfort of others.

Which little person is it okay to belittle? The sad, pathetic certificate
clutching college busy body or all those people who can't get their maturity
model in the right socket.

Is it right to charge a client for time spent in moral consternation over how
much work I can avoid by claiming I am waiting for other people to get back to
me?

Is it right to committ acts of "technology cleansing" - systematically ignoring
all comments from people because they won't use the applications I use?

Is time spent responding to TECHWR-L posts classified as "research" or "putting
my head in my a**?"

How does it feel when you treat me like you do?

IS there a proper way to lift text from the spec and claim it is mine?

How can I get more stock options without working? Of course - MARKETING!!!

What are ethics again? Is that those little voices in your head? Because I
have all sorts of little voices in there so I must be very ethical.

Duck, Duck, Duck, Duck - GOOSE!!!
Andrew Plato

So if you're a prize winning boar, just send a picture of yourself or someone
who looks just like you to...

=====