RE: Midol Moment or National Tragedy? You decide...

Subject: RE: Midol Moment or National Tragedy? You decide...
From: "Blaine, Karen L." <karen -dot- blaine -at- unisys -dot- com>
To: "WinHelp List (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 10:15:39 -0500

My 2¢ worth...

Incorrect grammar, punctuation, spelling, and poor sentence structure end up
slowing the reader down. The reader is forced to re-read sentences and
phrases and re-aligned thoughts, mentally insert correct spelling or
punctuation, or spend extra time second-guessing the author. That amounts to
the same thing as incorrect or inaccurate instructions, and that is often
the difference between a satisfied user and the one that's ready to chuck
your product out the door.

Frankly, I find my enjoyment of fictional works also greatly diminished when
I have to re-read sentences and guess what the author meant.

According to a lot of people on this list, all that really matters is that
"industry" accepts the terminology as "normal." Proper useage is whatever
the masses deem it to be, thus the grammar in your letter is perfectly
acceptable. As long as you know a circuit from a "circus", you can be a
successful technical writer.

Cynical Techwriter

--

On Thu, 11 Nov 1999 05:10:42 Metzger Karen wrote:

Our proper
>grammar and spelling like the bell-bottoms whose time has come and gone?
>Should I start a national crusade against these Communist plot, or take
>refuge in a new career--perhaps one that uses Visual Basic instead off
>English?
>
>Please advice.
>Dreading Locusts and Wild Honey

Moving your documentation online? We can help with standards, planning,
or training. Visit us at http://www.weisner.com or mailto:info -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Sponsored by Scriptorium Publishing. We offer highly effective FrameMaker
and WebWorks Publisher training, consulting, and implementation.
Visit us on the web at www.scriptorium.com

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: karen -dot- blaine -at- unisys -dot- com