RE: Master document

Subject: RE: Master document
From: "Klopfenstein, Ed (AFS)" <edk -at- accu-fab -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 13:34:20 -0800

From one Ed to another, I feel your pain.

I've never been able to get the master document feature to work and have had
several documents corrupted because of this "feature". Instead, we
programatically stitch together our chapter files using RD fields on the TOC
and index pages. You can do this manually without much trouble. In VBA,
you'll have to weed out any temporary files (those .docs preceded by a
tilda).

As for chapter numbering, format each chapter number from "1" and change
your chapter number. You can't do this manually since the RD fields won't
pick it up. You have to ensure that the page field has {Chapter - Number} to
show it in the TOC. That's been the easiest solution.

And, by the way, Bill doesn't use Word; although I'm sure he has a fleet of
secretaries who do.

I'd be happy to help more if needed.

Good luck.

Ed