RE: Anyone still using GIFs ?

Subject: RE: Anyone still using GIFs ?
From: "Higgins, Lisa" <LHiggins -at- carrieraccess -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 08:26:20 -0700

> I think this is a non-issue, since almost all of the tools we use
> (Microsoft, Paint Shop Pro, etc.) paid the original licensing
> fee in order
> to create their filters, etc. It's not for us users to worry
> about.

Actually, it is. What it boils down to is that, if you have a single GIF
file on your website that you did not develop yourself--this could be
something as simple as a little navigational arrow you got from a clipart
CD-ROM or website--you are responsible. Unisys' solution to this problem is
that you pay them a 'small' one-time licensing fee of $5000 just to cover
yourself in case your little arrow was created with unlicensed software.

See http://corp2.unisys.com/LeadStory/lzw-license.html

This 'small' licensing fee is only available for websites with no passwords,
no memberships, no advertising (including banner ads), and no ordering
capabilities. In other words, if you have a webpage for your dog that runs
banner ads--say, for a webring of webpages for dogs--you have to negotiate
with Unisys for a commercial license.

To relate this more directly to our jobs, if you have a password-protected
website for your customers to look at your documentation, or if you have any
commercial traffic on your corporate website, you have to negotiate a
contract with Unisys if you are going to use even one GIF that you don't
have firsthand knowledge of its origins.

Or... you could burn all your GIFs. PNG is a better format, anyway.

Lisa.