Re: FrameMaker templates

Subject: Re: FrameMaker templates
From: "Gerry Bourguignon" <GBourgui -at- opentext -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 16:20:10 -0500

I'm chiming in a bit late on this one because my posting bounced back to me
last week and I had nearly forgotten about trying to resend it. However, I
am interested in hearing about Word's template capabilities as compared to
Frame's.

Disclaimer: I am not a Frame expert and I am even less familiar with Word's
capabilities; however I am a Frame user and have recently had the occasion
to investigate the differences between Frame and Word templates.

Having said that, any FrameMaker document can be used as a template. Formats
are imported from a Frame template into a document as opposed to attaching
the template (as with Word). If you customize heading styles in Chapter
1.fm, you can easily import the styles into Chapter 2.fm, etc.

In general, it appears that you can do a lot more with FrameMaker templates
as page layouts containing, for example, running headers and footers can be
imported if that option is selected on the Import Formats dialog. When I
attach a Word template to an existing Word document, the headers and footers
in the template (amongst other elements no doubt) are left out.

Please feel free to tell me if this is not the correct understanding. I
would be very interested to hear that there are ways of doing this in Word.

Thank you.
--
Gerry Bourguignon GBourgui -at- opentext -dot- com
Technical Writer http://www.opentext.com