RE: Deleting built-in styles in Word

Subject: RE: Deleting built-in styles in Word
From: "David Chinell" <dchinell -at- email -dot- msn -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 12:05:52 -0500

Jane:

I have wrestled with Heading 1 through Heading 9
many times. Heading 1 through Heading 3 are beyond
my control in Word 97. I've learned to accept them
as I've accepted Normal.

Heading 4 through 9 cannot be deleted from a
document or template via Word's interface. You can
save the documents as RTF, open the RTF as text,
and manually remove all reference to the styles.
This can be messy and dangerous.

The easiest way to manage them is to create new
documents from Normal.dot. (If the Headings are
already in Normal.dot, then you must let Word
create a new Normal.dot). These will contain
Normal, Heading 1 through 3, and the Default
paragraph font.

Use this "clean" document as a shell into which
you pour your "dirty" templates and documents.

It's really a LOT of work to go through to
establish limited mastery of your documents. Why
not just relax and let Bill handle things for you?
He looks like a nice guy.

Bear