JavaHelp vs. Interhelp

Subject: JavaHelp vs. Interhelp
From: Debbie Pesach <debbie_pesach -at- attune-networks -dot- com>
To: "'Techwr-l'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 1999 10:49:53 +0200

Dear all,

This is a question for those of you who are producing online help for
Java-based applications. Others may delete or proceed at your own risk
:-).

Sorry to keep asking questions about tools (you can tell that I'm
planning my project but haven't yet begun actually writing it!). Here
goes:

I've decided that I'm going to go over to FrameMaker, and will use
ForeHelp as my help authoring tool. For those of you who are producing
online help for Java-based applications, are you writing the help using
JavaHelp, or are you using HTML-based help instead (I would use
Interhelp). All my audience will have a Web browser installed (although
I can't control which browser, so the help must be browser independent).

The SME's objection to using HTML-based help is that opening up the help
file will require opening up another browser window which can be easily
confused with the application browser window which must not be closed.
Can anyone provide me with information about this?

What are potential pitfalls/concerns that I should take into
consideration before beginning a JavaHelp project (such as how does the
application's version of Java affect how/if I prepare JavaHelp)?

TIA,
Debbie

Debbie Pesach
Technical Publications Team Leader
debbie_pesach -at- attune-networks -dot- com
04-9594333 Ext. 227

Attune Networks Ltd.
P.O. Box 305
Yokneam Elite 20692 Israel