RE: What can you see in your reader?

Subject: RE: What can you see in your reader?
From: barry -dot- kieffer -at- exgate -dot- tek -dot- com
To: jean -at- bjrcom -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 09:44:41 -0700

Greetings Jean,

The mail reader a person is using is only half the equation. The mail server
port or gateway has the option of changing the format, font, and signature
details.

For example, I use Microsoft Outlook. My "real address" for Outlook is
barry -dot- kieffer -at- exgate -dot- tek -dot- com -dot- When you post a message and the TECHWR-L
server sends it to me, the mail is sent to the address:
barry -dot- kieffer -at- tek -dot- com -dot-

At the "exgate" address I can see your signature info, but that is lost when
the message passes through the "tek" server.

It is WAY more complicated than that, but in a nutshell, that is what you
will run into. It is not the mail reader, but all of the mail servers,
converters, and what-not out there in cyberspace.

Regards,

And you probably cannot see my fancy signature either...

Barry Kieffer
Senior Technical Writer
Tektronix, Inc.
* Phone: 1.503.627.4079
* Email: barry -dot- kieffer -at- tek -dot- com

Jean asked: