Re: FrameMaker? Blanking Last Page

Subject: Re: FrameMaker? Blanking Last Page
From: "Sonya Hoffmann" <sonyahof -at- flash -dot- net>
To: "Leslie Johnson" <custcomm -at- cadvision -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 19:24:58 -0500

Excuse me; I'm new to this. I guess my question is, "Why do you want to
blank out the header and footer on the last page of a chapter?" I mean, the
footer should contain (at the very least) any copyright or proprietary
information due your customer (in case a user wants to make notes) -- and
that isn't even including the "This page is intentionally left blank."
notation usually used on "blank" pages at the end of chapters. So let the
chapters end on even pages, you know? Why not leave the header/footer as it
is, and resume with the next chapter/master pages as normal?

Basically, I consider usability first. That is, what is going to help the
customer stay oriented - even in duress? I know, it sounds crazy, but you
must remember: Good tech writing (along with a little engineering help)
brought the astronauts back from Apollo 13... so... WHAT DO YOUR CUSTOMERS
WANT? What works best for THEM? I guess in a pinch, I look to "whatever
will bring my men back from the mission" - that is, I guess I'm one of those
writers that looks at usability when there's a "toss-up."

Sorry -- I do not mean to offend. I just think that a blank page is a
useful thing from time to time, and a header/footer is a small
consideration, and may even help the customer in the long run.

Thanks,
-S