thanks re: directory and path syntax query

Subject: thanks re: directory and path syntax query
From: "Weiner, Kandis" <kweiner -at- positron -dot- qc -dot- ca>
To: "'techwrl'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 13:26:01 -0400

Thanks to Beth, Barry and Tracy for their help on the correct syntax for
paths!

This is what we've decided:

(This is for Windows, btw. Other conventions apply in the Unix world.)

====

To remove all confusion, use this whenever possible:

c:\Name1\Name2

=====

If the directory path is not known:

.\Folder1\Folder2

This syntax implies relativity: we don't know where Folder1 is installed,
but we know that Folder2 is always installed in Folder1.

=====

\\MachineName\ShareName\Root

When you are referencing a specific share name on a network computer.

Thanks Again!

Kandis Weiner.
Technical Communicator - Positron Public Safety Systems
http://www.positron911.com
mailto:kweiner -at- positron -dot- qc -dot- ca