RE: Squashed ego--techwriter syndrome?

Subject: RE: Squashed ego--techwriter syndrome?
From: "John David Hickey" <dave -at- toonboom -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 10:56:31 -0400

Greetings!

> > The project manager fired off an e-mail genuinely
> > thanking everyone for
> > their effort and specifically thanking me for
> > "beautifying" the
> > documentation. I'm, er, not entirely happy with
> > that. It would have been
> > better had nothing been said. "Beautifying"
> > ????????????
> Sean. I think you're being overly sensitive.

I don't think he is being overly sensitive. Beautifying is not a term I
would like to use to describe what I do. It's one of those weird terms that
praises and belittles at the same time.

However, I do like John's suggestion of listing the other positive
contributions Sean made to the project. Even though the manager singled Sean
out for his good work, simply saying that Sean beautified a document is not
only patronizing, but it justifies a dangerous mindset with the other
members of the team ("I don't have time to answer your questions! I'm make a
serious contribution to the project, not just "prettying-up" a document!").

I think it's sometimes tough in our business to be assertive and promote our
craft without being arrogant or pretentious. It's a very narrow ledge.
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
John David Hickey
Grand Poohbah of Documentation
ToonBoom Technologies
Montreal, Quebec, Canada eh?
pg: 514-205-9209

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
Don't confuse my opinions with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.