illegible screen caps in PDFs

Subject: illegible screen caps in PDFs
From: "White, Leigh" <LeighW2 -at- medcmp -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:59:10 -0400

I have searched the archives and still not found a solution; I'm hoping
someone has a few more tricks up their sleeve.

I cannot get legible, let alone clear, screen captures in a PDF document.
The source document is in Word 95. The screens are 256-color. I've tried
bmps, .tifs, and .jpgs. I've tried capturing the screens at 72 dpi, 150
dpi, 300 dpi. I've printed the Word doc directly to PDF using the Acrobat
PDF Writer, with compression both on and off. I've printed the Word doc to
file and then converted the .prn file to .pdf using Distiller, with
compression both on and off. I can't see that anything makes a difference
and I'm out of ideas.

Help! And thanks!

Leigh W. White
Vision Technical Writer