Re: Thoughs on reproducing what's on screen

Subject: Re: Thoughs on reproducing what's on screen
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 13:48:50 EDT

We have a product that produces something like 50 canned reports. In our
case, the product manager wanted readers to see samples; he also wanted to be
able to throw together a proposal showing report samples. We wrote a Reports
Guide that includes one-page samples of each report, along with a brief
description--two pages per report, nicely structured as is my wont 8^) It
takes some effort to generate the samples, but better that we do it instead
of the reader, I think. I'm happy with the results.

The only difficulty is that the writer had to take screen shots of the
reports and then use the resulting bitmaps. The quality was very poor.
Someone here suggested printing to PostScript (or directly to PDF) and
importing that into FrameMaker. Hey, we can do that! Thanks for a great tip!

-- Steve

Steven Jong, Documentation Team Manager ("Typo? What tpyo?")
Lightbridge, Inc., 67 South Bedford St., Burlington, MA 01803 USA
mailto:jong -at- lightbridge -dot- com -dot- nospam 781.359.4902 [voice]
Home Sweet Homepage: http://members.aol.com/SteveFJong